Molecular Biology MSc Back
About the course
If you have a Bachelors degree in the biosciences, biochemistry, pharmacy or biological chemistry and you want to develop specialist knowledge in molecular biology then this postgraduate programme is for you. It will allow you to gain new skills and enhance your employability in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries or allow you to progress to a research degree.
The MSc Molecular Biology will give you hands on practical experience of both laboratory and bioinformatics techniques. You will also be trained in molecular biology research strategies. A strong practical foundation is provided in the first semester (Semester A) when you will study two modules:
- Cellular Molecular Biology - This module aims to help you develop a systematic understanding and knowledge of recombinant DNA technology, bioinformatics and associated research methodology.
- Core Genetics and Protein Biology - This module will provide you with an advanced understanding of genetics, proteins, the area of proteomics and the molecular basis of cellular differentiation and development.
The second semester (Semester B) has a problem-based learning approach to the application of the knowledge you gained in Semester A. You will study two modules:
- Molecular Medicine - You will study the areas of protein design, production and engineering, investigating specific examples of products through the use of case studies.
- Molecular Biotechnology - You will gain an in-depth understanding of the application of molecular biological approaches to the characterisation of selected diseases and the design of new drugs for their treatment.
In semester C you will undertake a research project to develop your expertise further. The research project falls into different areas of molecular biology and may include aspects of fermentation biotechnology, cardiovascular molecular biology, cancer, angiogenesis research, diabetes, general cellular molecular biology, bioinformatics, microbial physiology and environmental microbiology.
Why choose this course?
- This course gives in-depth knowledge of molecular biology for biosciences graduates.
- It has a strong practical basis giving you training in molecular biology research strategies and hand-on experience of laboratory and bioinformatics techniques.
- It equips you for research and development positions in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, as well as a wide range of non-research roles in industry.
- Biosciences research facilities cover fermentation biotechnology, high performance liquid chromatography, (HPLC), cell culture, molecular biology and pharmacology.
- There are excellent facilities for chemical and biomedical analysis, genetics and cell biology studies and students have access to the latest equipment for PCR, qPCR and 2D protein gel analysis systems for use during their final year projects.
- The School of Life and Medical Science will move into a brand new science building opening in September 2016 providing us with world class laboratories for our teaching and research. At a cost of £50M the new building provides spacious naturally lit laboratories and social spaces creating an environment that fosters multi-disciplinary learning and research.
Graduates of the programme will be qualified for research and development positions in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, to progress to a research degree, or to consider non-research roles in industry such as management, manufacturing and marketing.
The course consists of five modules including a research project. All modules are 100% assessed by coursework including in-class tests.
- Cellular Molecular Biology
- Core Genetics and Protein Biology
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Molecular Medicine Research
- Biosciences Research Methods for Masters
- Methods and Project
Masters - Full time
- Start date:
- 1 Year
- Teaching method:
- Hatfield, United Kingdom
- Funding possible:
EUR 10,390.38 (GBP 7,700.00)
EUR 16,867.50 (GBP 12,500.00)
- Additional Information:
- UK/EU Students: Full time: £7,700 for the 2016 academic year. International Students: Full time: £12,500 for the 2016 academic year.
- Tuition fees