Nutrition & Health (PhD) Back
PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
This is a three, 3.5 or four-year research programme, depending on the nature of the project.
Students undertake a research project under the guidance of an academic supervisor and, unlike a postgraduate degree by coursework and dissertation, there are no formal lectures or seminars and work is not formally examined until after the final thesis is submitted. The Graduate School also offers an induction programme and skills training opportunities for all research students to support their studies and to help with career planning.
Nutrition and Health
The Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health at the University of Aberdeen plays a major role in the UK research capability in nutrition and human health and through the years has also made a significant impact on animal health and nutrition.
Among the many strengths of the Rowett are its well-developed bioinformatics research and the core facilities for metabolite, DNA and protein analysis.
- Find out more about the Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health
- Browse all research areas in the Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health
We welcome applications from self-funded students. You may already have a PhD project in mind, however, if you are still deciding the following is a list of exciting PhD projects available to self-funded students. Click on the project titles to find out more details about each PhD project.
If you are interested in one of the projects listed then please contact any of the Supervisors noted below and also copy your message to our Graduate School Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soft fruits in the regulation of postprandial glucose
- Carbohydrate breakdown and short-chain fatty acid formation in human gut bacteria
- Interactions between food-borne mycotoxins and human gut microbiota
- Neurocircuitry underlying energy balance and body weight
- The effect of diet on Bacteroides vs Prevotella competition in the human large intestine
- Role of Iodine in combating inflammation within endothelial cells
- Food reformulation for maintenance of a healthy body weight in adults, with application in the workplace
- The sirtuin/nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) system in human health and disease: inter-individual variation and modulation by diet and exercise
- Linking Nutrition to Cognition
- Functions of TRP ion channels
- Modelling Food Provenance for Optimal Sustainable, Healthy Diets
PhD - Full time
- 3 - 4 Years
- Teaching method:
- Aberdeen, United Kingdom