Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Back
University accreditation applies to courses from this institution
For over 200 years RCSI has played a major role in medical education and training in Ireland. Founded in 1784 to train surgeons, today the College provides extensive education and training in the healthcare professions at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences
The Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences is home to Ireland's largest medical school, one of the world's leading international medical schools, as well as prestigious Schools of Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Nursing & Midwifery, Postgraduate Studies and an Institute of Leadership. Our degrees and awards are fully aligned to the National Framework of Qualifications, from levels 7 - 10, in collaboration with the National University of Ireland.
Surgery, Postgraduate Faculties & Professional Bodies
RCSI is the professional training body for Surgery in Ireland. Today, under statutory authority, it manages postgraduate residency training, memberships and fellowships and continuous professional development through its Department of Surgical Affairs, Faculties of Radiologists, Dentistry, Sports & Exercise Medicine and Nursing & Midwifery. RCSI also operates the Irish Institute of Pharmacy on behalf of the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland.
The RCSI Research Institute is one of Ireland’s foremost research centres. RCSI is committed to performing high levels of research activity, to commercialising intellectual property arising from its research, and to developing collaborative links with industry, educational and research institutions both nationally and internationally.
More than 60 countries are represented on RCSI’s international student body. The College has a strong international presence with Schools in Malaysia, Dubai and a University in Bahrain. The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland is independent, international and progressive.
Facts and Figures
- RCSI was established on 11th February 1784
- Total registered students: 3,806
- Undergraduate students: 2,212
- Postgraduate students: 1,594
- Surgical trainees: 432
- Number of Staff: 952
- Research funding income 2013/2014: €35.7m
- The Surgical College is the national training body for surgery in Ireland.
- More than 60 countries are represented on RCSI’s international student body.
- RCSI has a University in Bahrain; two Medical Schools in Malaysia (at Perdana University and Penang Medical College, jointly with UCD); and an Institute in Dubai.
- RCSI is a not for profit organisation.
- RCSI's Mission: To educate, nurture and discover for the benefit of human health
123 St. Stephens Green
+353 1 402 2100